This is my first attempt at a weekly wrap-up.
What I Did Do
- This week I had “fun” “playing” with the new site. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not very techy. I am, therefore, most delighted that I managed to post four book reviews with only minimal assistance. I’m doing things like using Canva to create graphics for the slider and making attempts to optimize my SEO with my new Yoast plugin. I won’t lie. There are moments when I don’t know who the hell I am.
- I signed up to participate in the 7th Annual Broke & Bookish Secret Santa. Santa Hats off to Jamie for organizing this. It looks like a tremendous amount of work but I’m sure it’s a labor of love! Is it wrong that I’m looking forward to shopping for my assigned fellow book lover more than I’m looking forward to shopping for my own family? (If you say yes, please be aware that my daughter wants a Hatchimal for Christmas. It’s the Cabbage Patch Doll of 2016 and I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull it off. If I do, it will require bringing a lawn chair to Toys ‘R Us and the possibly of engaging in unpleasant exchanges with anyone who tries to cut the line.)
- I fiddled around on Etsy and bought some book props while having a glass or two of wine. We shall see if I use them. I’m not much of a photographer and, so far, my #Bookstagram photos have not moved beyond a book and a glass of wine or a book and one of my five dogs. See Below:
What I Didn’t Do
- I didn’t read this week. Not at all. I went to London last weekend and came home late Sunday evening. Between jetlag and posting reviews, my brain was a little fried. I didn’t feel motivated to start a new book. I’m spending this weekend in NYC and that could go either way in terms of how much reading I’ll get done. I’ll be back to reading on Monday at the very latest. Like many of you, I have a love/hate relationship with my TBR pile but I’m determined to get through some books that are on my NetGalley naughty list this week.
- I didn’t write enough reviews. The truth is I only wrote one. The others I’d written during the redesign and only had to copy and paste. I’m about five books behind. This stresses me out. I must commit to writing the review as soon as I’ve finished the book. The problem with this is that I must be in a certain frame of mind to write the review or I’ll sit there looking at a blank screen for two hours. Then I regret not having done something productive (such as read) for those two hours. It’s a vicious cycle…
What I’m going to Do
- I’m going to get caught up on reviews.
- I’m going to read. For Nonfiction November I’ll be starting with Unspeakable by Chris Hedges with David Talbot. Based on the description and my interactions with the publisher, I’m predicting that this book will ensure that I maintain my current level of anxiety related to American politics. I figure what the heck. We’re on roll here… Then I’ll move on to Tong Wars which is one of the aforementioned NetGalley naughty list titles.
- I’m going to start writing Top Ten Tuesday posts.
That’s all for now. Thanks for reading!
Lory @ Emerald City Book Review says
I look forward to your thoughts on Unspeakable. That sounds like a really important book.
Ann Marie says
I actually started it this morning. It’s very interesting indeed. And timely.
The Belgian Reviewer says
You didn’t read in a whole week *GASP*. Sometimes life just gets in the way and I understand perfectly. I’m also using Canva for the first few times and although it is said to be sooooo easy I still spend a mad amount of time before I actually have something for a graphic ;-). How cute is he/she ! I don’t mind looking at a dog with a book any time 😉
Ann Marie says
🙂 Since I started blogging, I’ve found that the words “user-friendly” and “intuitive” are quite subjective. And thank you. That’s my Lola!
I would say that was a successful Wrap-Up post! I hope you have more time to read this week! I had a very similar week where I felt very productive on the blog front, but didn’t get much read. I am ridiculously behind on my book reviews too… like 10 reviews behind 😳 It stresses me out too.
I just heard about Hatchimals… thankfully my daughter is only 3 and doesn’t know what those are yet… good luck!
Ann Marie says
I did get some reading done yesterday but I just realized this morning that I haven’t even started this month’s book club book and we meet Friday! The cycle continues…
Love your blog’s new look Ann Marie! This weekly Wrap Up is so relatable and lighthearted.
Ann Marie says
Thank you, Dawn! I’m enjoying blogging even more now.